06 April 2009

Madness

It's been a pretty hectic few weeks here in Sigmaville. I left Tacoma at the end of March, and the odds are that I probably won't ever return. I'm back in Kansas City, where I spent a painfully awkward adolescence and where I will probably be living for the next couple years. I know I'm going to miss the Northwest quite a lot--the four years I spent there were probably the best I'll ever see. Nevertheless they are gone, and it accomplishes naught to pine for the past. On the plus side, I finally managed to land a job, where I will start working tomorrow. After nearly a year of joblessness, it's both a relief and a source of trepidation to be going back to work.

For a while I was thinking of my expulsion from the Northwest as the end, but in the last few days I've begun to think of it as a new beginning of sorts. In a few months I'll hopefully be living on my own again. Kansas City isn't perhaps as bad I sometimes make it sound--after all, it is the city that at various times was home to Wallace Beery, Ginger Rogers, Jean Harlow and Joan Crawford. There also exists a great deal of Jazz Age and Art Deco ephemera in Kansas City, as the years between the two World Wars was a sort of heyday for the city. And besides, it's not as though I'm trapped here forever. I've been kicking around the idea of moving to Upstate New York In a few years--after I've paid off my student debts, upgraded my computer and bought a new car. Syracuse seems appealing, if only for the Niagara-Mohawk Building.

In any event, I've rambled on long enough for now. So that this post has some redeeming value, here's a picture of Myrna Loy.

No comments:

Post a Comment